Thanksgiving Day trivia for the dinner table

Leave the politics and celebrity gossip for another time. Impress your guests at the Thanksgiving Day dinner table with some interesting trivia about this special holiday.    

Live Brighter

With the credit union that puts you first

Thanksgiving Day trivia for the dinner table

13 Dec 2017

Thanksgiving Day trivia for the dinner table

Leave the politics and celebrity gossip for another time. Impress your guests at the Thanksgiving Day dinner table with some interesting trivia about this special holiday.  

To get you started, we’ve lined up 10 pieces of tantalizing tid-bits about the dinner menu, Thanksgiving history, and of course, football.

  1. The average American will eat about 3,000 calories at Thanksgiving dinner, but when you add in nibbling and drinks, that count climbs to around 4,500 calories and 229 grams of fat, according to the Calorie Control Council. If you are the cook, you will likely burn 700 calories when preparing the meal – from start to finish, according to Eating Well. That’s a pretty good payoff for being in the kitchen all day.
  2. Talking Turkey – Americans consume 736 million pounds of turkey on Thanksgiving Day alone – about the weight of the Empire State Building. But wait, according to the National Turkey Federation, only 88% of Americans have turkey on Thanksgiving. What are the other 12% eating?
  3. Here’s a trivia question that combines Turkey and NASA – ideal for those of us connected to the Rocket City. On Christmas Eve 1968, during the Apollo 8 mission, the astronauts opened their meal packages to find thermo-stabilized turkey with gravy and cranberry sauce. Oops! Wrong holiday.
  1. Gobble, Gobble…if you hear that sound coming from your turkey, it’s alive and it’s a male! Only male turkeys actually gobble and are (surprisingly) called Gobblers.
  1. If you are a little shaky on the ‘turkey cooking’ task, there’s help. The Butterball Turkey Talk-Line is open for anyone who has a question about cooking (baking, roasting, frying, brining, smoking, microwaving) a turkey. Call the hotline – 1-800-Butterball – and talk to a professionally trained, college educated home economist. You can get your questions answered by phone, online chat or email. They average 100,000 call each season.
  1. Time for some history. Abraham Lincoln established Thanksgiving as a holiday in 1863 and it was originally on the fourth Thursday of November. However, in 1939, Franklin Roosevelt moved the date to the third Thursday to stimulate the economy and extend the holiday shopping season. Then in 1941, Roosevelt moved it back to the fourth Thursday. Would he be thrilled or terrified by our extended holiday shopping season today?
  1. Today, Thanksgiving and football seem to go together. The Detroit Lions played football on Thanksgiving Day for the first time in 1934. Since that time, the Lions have played a game every Thanksgiving -- except between 1939-1944. In 1956, fans watched the game on television for the first time.
  1. Have you noticed all the ‘pumpkin flavored’ products during this season? Many of these products have no actual pumpkin in them. Instead, it’s likely pumpkin pie spice, a blend of all spice, cinnamon, ginger, mace and nutmeg. Check the label if you want the actual thing.
  2. The most fattening item on your Thanksgiving Day menu? Pecan Pie. It has about 503 calories per slice.
  3. Mashed Potatoes are the most popular side dish on the dinner table. Macaroni and Cheese pulls up a close second. No, dressing did not make the list because it’s not a side dish – its turkey’s forever companion.

Your Weekly Update is Waiting

Get great financial advice and stay in-the-know about the Tennessee Valley! Sign up for our weekly blog digest to get all of our posts, sent straight to your inbox. 

Sign Up Now

Related Posts

LOCATE A BRANCH OR ATM

X Close